One of the most versatile ingredients that enhances many a meal is scallions. Also known as green onions or shallots, these little babies are available for pretty low a price in most supermarkets.
Making a soup? Add scallions. Cooking some meat? Add scallions. Eggs? Scallions. Pancakes? Scallions. Hell, take your Easy Mac and throw in some scallions for a while new kick!
The best thing about scallions is that they are cheaper than cheap. They can be made available in your own home for FREE.
You don’t need a full garden. You don’t even need a green thumb. You need a bundle of scallions from the supermarket, a cup, some water, and some sunlight.
- Grab a bundle of scallions from the supermarket.
- Cut 1-2 inches above the white rooted part, so some green still shows.
- Place these (with the white roots floating downward) into a small cup of water.
- Place the cup in a sunny windowsill and wait! You might see scallion growth by the next morning, or it may take a few days.
- Chop the scallions as needed for meals, returning the white base to the cup after use!
- Remember to change the water every few days 🙂
Be sure to tag #ScallionStories on all of your scallion photos, and let’s spread the word!